The goal of Wings for Success is to enhance the financial independence and stability of women in need. Wings’ free programs are designed to provide clients with work-related apparel and to help build the confidence needed to obtain and sustain employment. Through nurturing clothing appointments, employment-related workshops, or personalized employment guidance from volunteer career coaches, Wings for Success provides each client with the essentials that are critical for her success.
- Wings is the only program of its kind in Chester County, with 2 offices in Frazer & Kennett Square.
- In 2019, we were able to move our site in Kennett Square to a new location. This site is twice the size of our old one and is more accessible to the women we serve by having a bus stop in its shopping center. The site also provides us with something we never had before, a workshop/community room.
- In 2020, Wings served 1036 women, a 22% increase over 2019, and has served over 14,000 women since its founding in 1997.
- 70% of our clients come from collaborative relationships with 80+ partner agencies. These agencies, mostly non-profits, offer programs related to domestic violence, substance abuse, homelessness, education and job training, food insecurity, and youth development.
- The remaining 30% of our clients are generated from various direct outreach strategies or family and friends of existing clients.
- On a typical visit, a client receives a work-appropriate wardrobe that includes key pieces of clothing to be mixed and matched, including undergarments, shoes, handbags, accessories, and seasonal outerwear (as inventory allows).
- Wings outfitted 189 clients with necessary medical scrubs and nurse shoes for their employment in 2020.
- A conservative estimate of the value of clothing provided to clients in 2019 is more than $600,000.
- Wings consistently receives strong client self-confidence and satisfaction scores of 95% and 97% respectively.
- Operating with only four part-time employees, members of the Wings’ Board of Directors and a pool of 120 active volunteers together contributed over 10,000 hours in all areas of organizational operation.
- 57% of the women served in 2020 were currently employed when they came to us for assistance.
- Of those women, 77% were categorized as below poverty by their annual income, 65% were single, and 58% had children.
- The percentage of Wings’ clients that come from the following counties in 2020: Chester 67%; Delaware 12%; Montgomery 4%; Philadelphia 6%; New Castle DE 8%, and other counties 3%.
- The ethnic breakdown of Wings clients in 2020 was: African-American 28%; Caucasian 21%; Hispanic 39%; Asian 1%, and mixed-race or unknown 11%.
- Wings’ clients range in age between 12 years to 65+ years old, but the majority of our clients are between the ages of 25-44.
- The number of clients under the age of 25 increased by 10% in 2019, making this our second largest age group. This increase is credited to our partnerships with local universities and non-profits that refer young women with few resources.
- In 2020, 36% of Wings clients earn less than $10K annual income, 18% of clients earn less than 20K, and 18% of clients earn less than 30K.